How to Know if You Have Mold After Water Damage In Savannah

water damage restorationMold can be hard to spot, but if you’re noticing any of the following signs, it’s time to check your home for mold.

Have you ever wondered if you have mold in your home? If you’re asking yourself this question, there’s a good chance that your house is actually full of mold.

Mold is one of the most common household problems and it can affect anyone. It’s not just a problem for people who live in damp climates. In fact, some people are more likely to get sick from exposure to toxic mold than others.

It’s important to know how to prevent mold growth and what to do if you suspect that you already have an issue with it. This article will give you all the information that you need about this common problem so that your family will be safe from harm and enjoy peace of mind when they enter their home after work each day or on weekends when they want to relax with family members who live nearby.

Savannah Water Damage Restoration

Look for dark spots on your walls or floor

Mold can appear as any shade of green, black, brown or white. It’s also possible for mold to grow on surfaces that are damp but not visibly wet, so it’s important to check for dark spots on your walls and floors. Even if you aren’t able to see the mold at first glance, it’s safe to assume that any darkened discoloration indicates the presence of fungi.

Mold colonies begin as tiny spores which are spread through air currents and settle in damp areas throughout your home—these include bathrooms and kitchens (where humidity levels are usually higher), basements (which often contain standing water), attics and crawl spaces. The spores will quickly grow into full-fledged colonies once they land somewhere damp enough to support their growth.

Smell the affected room

If you notice a musty odor in your home, or if one of the other symptoms listed above is present, mold may be present. To confirm whether or not there is mold in your home, you can perform further tests by smelling the affected area.

  • A musty odor that smells like dirty socks or wet cardboard indicates that there may be mold growth in your home.
  • If the smell is comparable to a damp basement or mildewed fabric, this could also indicate the presence of mold in your house.

Feel the affected area for dampness

If you’re in an area where there’s a lot of moisture, like around your shower or sink, you’ll want to check regularly for dampness. If you feel any moisture on the surface of your walls or furniture, that could be a sign of mold.

Test for mold using a DIY kit

Another DIY option is to purchase a test kit at your local hardware store. These kits are not as accurate as professional tests, but they may be helpful if you’re trying to determine whether or not mold is present in your home. Homeowners can also opt for a more accurate professional test that will send results straight to their lab for analysis.

If you suspect that you have mold, call Harper Special Services. We are the top Savannah water damage restoration company, and we can help you get your property back to normal. Mold can cause a lot of damage to your home, so it’s important to take care of it as soon as possible.