How To Handle A Flood Before The Restoration Services Experts Arrive
When your home in Savannah suffers from a flood, your first reaction is often overwhelming. While floods are devastating, there is some good news – Harper Special Services offers 24/7 emergency flood restoration services to respond to your flood restoration needs as soon as they occur.
Flood Restoration Services In Savannah
We want to be sure that you are ready and prepared to handle a flood in your home, so here is a list of what you should do when you find yourself dealing with flood damage:
- Contact your Insurance Agency. Whether or not your policy covers water damage from flooding, it is still important to reach out to your homeowners insurance and let them know what has happened. It is also beneficial to let your insurance agency know which flood restoration services company you are working with. Most restoration companies have experience working with insurance companies and will be able to help file claims or answer questions you may have.
- Evaluate the structural integrity before entering a flooded area. When in doubt, do not enter at all until a qualified structural builder or engineer has cleared the home.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure safety. Make sure power to the area is turned off.
- Young children and pets should be kept out of the affected area.
- Wear personal protective clothing (rubber gloves, boots, etc.) if you have to be in contact with water, and treat all water as if it is contaminated (most flood water is). Try to avoid any contact if at all possible.
- Document Damage. Take photos of the damage your property has ensued, and make a detailed list of damaged inventory. An adjuster will be sent to your home to evaluate the loss, but do not wait for them to arrive before you being documenting it yourself. Photos and documentation will help to