How To Handle A Flood Before The Restoration Services Experts Arrive
When your home in Savannah suffers from a flood, your first reaction is often overwhelming. While floods are devastating, there is some good news – Harper Special Services offers 24/7 emergency flood restoration services to respond to your flood restoration needs as soon as they occur.
Flood Restoration Services In Savannah
We want to be sure that you are ready and prepared to handle a flood in your home, so here is a list of what you should do when you find yourself dealing with flood damage:
- Contact your Insurance Agency. Whether or not your policy covers water damage from flooding, it is still important to reach out to your homeowners insurance and let them know what has happened. It is also beneficial to let your insurance agency know which flood restoration services company you are working with. Most restoration companies have experience working with insurance companies and will be able to help file claims or answer questions you may have.
- Evaluate the structural integrity before entering a flooded area. When in doubt, do not enter at all until a qualified structural builder or engineer has cleared the home.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure safety. Make sure power to the area is turned off.
- Young children and pets should be kept out of the affected area.
- Wear personal protective clothing (rubber gloves, boots, etc.) if you have to be in contact with water, and treat all water as if it is contaminated (most flood water is). Try to avoid any contact if at all possible.
- Document Damage. Take photos of the damage your property has ensued, and make a detailed list of damaged inventory. An adjuster will be sent to your home to evaluate the loss, but do not wait for them to arrive before you being documenting it yourself. Photos and documentation will help to prove loss mitigation.
- Open doors and windows to allow ventilation. Airflow will discourage microbial growth.
- Remove furniture or standing items that can be taken out of the area. Any belongings in the affected area will need to be removed before cleanup and restoration can begin, and items that have been damaged beyond repair will only take up space and hold onto unnecessary moisture in the area.
- Do not panic. It is stressful and overwhelming when dealing with flooding in your home. However, if you can stay, things will be much easier to deal with.
- Call the flood restoration services experts at Harper Special Services. Our response is immediate so that we can quickly secure your property and minimize the extent of the damage. We offer full service flood restoration, from the very first assessment to the final clean up – including repairs. With our skill and experience, we can successfully prevent the growth and spread of mold and other potential damages. We come fully equipped to deal with any type of flood damage, no matter the size, scope, or source. Along with our professional cleanup and flood restoration services, we also offer insurance claim assistance to help make the process easier for you. It is important to be read to respond correctly if a flood occurs in your home, and it is even more important to call the flood restoration services Harper Special Services to take care of the entire restoration process.