Protect Your Basement From Flooding
Basements tend to get a pretty bad reputation, and are often portrayed as dark and spooky. We at Harper Special Services know that the only thing that should scare you about a basement is the risk of it flooding. By being a proactive homeowner in Savannah, you can spot and fix little issues in your basement that could lead to big water damage problems, and can help protect it from flooding.
- Inspect your foundation for any cracks. Cracks in the foundation allow water a way into your home. You should inspect the exterior of your foundation on a regular basis, and if you come across any cracks during your inspection you should get them filled. If you encounter a more serious foundation problem, be sure to call a professional so that you do not leave your home at risk for water damage.
- Keep water from pooling around your foundation by cleaning and maintaining gutters and downspouts. Cleaning your gutters is an essential part of water damage prevention. When debris blogs gutter and downspouts, water is not able to flow freely through them and can pool and collect against the foundation of your home. This can cause flooding in the basement, so it is important to ensure that water is directed at least 3 feet away from your foundation.
- Another potential source of pooling water around your home’s foundation is the slope of your yard and even the shape of your flowerbed. If your yard slopes toward your home, water will run towards your home and pool up around your foundation. With nowhere else to go, this water will eventually find its way inside. You may need to re-grade your lawn or flowerbeds to prevent this from occurring.
- Make sure basement windows have window well covers. All below-grade basement windows should be protected with window well covers. When installed correctly and securely, window well covers will help keep your basement waterproof.
- Maintain your sump pump. Sump pump failure is the most frequent cause of basement flooding. The sump pump is the best defense in combating mold, water damage, and flooding in your basement, but simply owning a pump does not ensure it will work properly. It requires proper maintenance to keep if functioning correctly. It is also a good idea to invest in a battery-operated backup sump pump, or a generator for your sump pump that can kick in when a heavy storm comes or the power goes out.
While these maintenance tips can greatly reduce your risk of flooding, there is no way to guarantee your basement will be safe from flooding. If you find yourself dealing with water damage in your home, Harper Special Services is a fully licensed water damage restoration company that provides services to Savannah, GA, and surrounding areas. We specialize in all types of restorations, no matter the size or location. Our water damage restoration service is guaranteed to stop damage from spreading, and we will have your home restored to a superb condition. We bill directly to insurance, and will stay in communication with you throughout the entire process. Our experts are the best professionals for your water damage restoration job.